700 people dead in Iran after drinking methanol over false belief that it cures COVID-19
This misconception has led to children also consuming alcohol, which can lead to blindness and death.
Over 700 people have died in Iran due to the consumption of toxic methanol, thinking that it would cure the novel coronavirus.
Alcohol poisoning has killed 728 people in Iran between 20th February and 7th April. Last year, there were only 66 deaths but the number has seen a significant increase this year.
According to a report, alcohol poisoning in Iran has seen a 10-fold increase amidst the COVID-19 outbreak.
A spokesman for Iran’s health ministry Kianoush Jahanpor said 5,011 people have lost their lives due to poisoning of methanol alcohol. Moreover, 90 people lost their eyesight or are suffering from eye damages due to it.
Health Ministry adviser Hossein Hassanian said that the total tally of people who have faced eyesight complications as a result of alcohol poisoning could be a lot higher than this.
A medical expert told news outlets that people’s concept that alcohol can boost immunity against COVID-19 is false. Further adding, he said that this misconception has led to children also consuming alcohol, which can lead to blindness and death.
Methanol can neither be tasted nor smelled in drinks and its consumption can lead to serious health complications. It can cause organ and brain damage. The symptoms of methanol poisoning include nausea, hyperventilation, coma, blindness and chest pain.
What are your views on this? Share in the comments bar below.