Article 256: 5-year imprisonment on the formation of Private Military Organizations
Pakistan was as of 2018, the tenth-largest arms importer in the world.
- According to the constitution, there is no right to own guns and Article 256 even forbids having private organizations.
- Pakistan is dealing with major problems like illegal guns and military organizations’ but no one wants to talk about it.
The armed forces relist the exclusiveness in their functioning, and the constitution can imprison private military organizations that are capable of acting as a military organization in Article 256.
Pakistan was as of 2018, the tenth-largest arms importer in the world. We are flooded in guns because the laws are sloppy and slack, our culture allows, and the border is pervious.
It should not be like that: according to the constitution, there is no right to own guns and Article 256 even forbids having private military organizations.
Sardonically, police and ruling class have never accepted this law. It only happens in Pakistan that the lives of many individuals are linked with the fate of some criminals.
In the past, many governments promised to issue arms licenses to lawyers, traders, and political parties. However, issue thousands of bore licenses to MNAs alone.
Even no help from provinces was seen to address this issue.
Pakistan is dealing with some major problems like illegal guns and military organizations but no one wants to talk about it. According to the NAP, if any organization other than the state institutions constitutes a uniformed force, it is a crime.
Article 256: Private armies forbidden
No private organization capable of functioning as a military organization shall be formed, and any such organization shall be illegal.
Power to declare illegal
- “If the Federal Government is satisfied that any private organization is capable of functioning as a military organization in violation of the prohibition in Article 256 of the Constitution, the Federal Government may, by notification published in the official Gazette, direct that the organization shall stand abolished forthwith”.
- “Every such notification shall specify the grounds on which it is issue”.
- “Forms, organizes, trains or equips a private organization capable of functioning as a military organization, or is a member or adherent, or takes part in the activities, of any such organization; or
- is a member or adherent, or takes part in the activities, of any organization in respect of which a notification under section 2 has been issued; shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to five years and with fine”.
What are your views on this? Share with us in the comments bar below.