Basmati Rice: Pakistan officially challenges India on GI Tag in the EU

The GI law protects local products such as the Peshawari chappals, Multani blue pottery, Hunza apricots, Hala Ajrak, Kasuri methi, Chaman grapes, Turbat dates, etc.


  • Pakistan has formally challenged India’s application regarding an exclusive GI tag for basmati rice in the EU.

WHITE BASMATI RICE 1kg - Pure Edible StorePakistan has officially challenged India’s application for an exclusive Geographical Indication (GI) tag for basmati rice in the European Union (EU).

According to officials at the Intellectual Property Organisation (IPO) Pakistan, the opposition has been filed under Article 51 of the Regulation (EU) No 1151/2012 via a Brussels-based international law firm, Messrs Altius.

The Adviser to the Prime Minister on Commerce & Investment, Abdul Razak Dawood, confirmed the development through a tweet on Wednesday and assured rice exporters that the government would defend the case with due diligence and commitment.

As per the European Commission’s rule, opposition to any application, once published in its official journal, need to be filed within a period of three months.

This meant that Pakistan needed to apply before the 11th of December.

Currently, India accounts for 65% of the international trade in basmati, while Pakistan accounts for the remaining 35%. The long-grained aromatic rice fetches Pakistan around $800 million to $1 billion annually.

Basmati Rice Supplier in Pakistan | Super Basmati, 1121 Sella, Brown Basmati - Matco Foods

GI Tag.

It is relevant to mention here that India had applied for the GI tag for basmati under Article 50(2)(a) of Regulation (EU) No 1151/2012 of the European Parliament and Council on Quality Schemes for Agricultural Products & Foodstuffs.

The protection of geographical indications helps a country boost exports, support rural development, and enhance agricultural producers and skilled craftsmen’s livelihood.

The marketing of GI products also enhances secondary economic activities and boosts regional economic development.

The GI law protects local products such as the Peshawari chappals, Multani blue pottery, Hunza apricots, Hala Ajrak, Kasuri methi, Chaman grapes, Turbat dates, etc.

What are your views on this? Share with us in the comments below.

  • نواز اور زرداری ڈاکوں کے دور میں انڈیا نے پاکستان کو بہوت نقصان پہونچایا
    سمگل شدہ مال پر انڈین سٹامپس لگا کر بیچا لکن نواز بےغیرت کی غیرت نہیں ہے
    اپنی ماں دھرتی کا غدار کتا


  • Featured Content⭐

    >