“Indian influence network”: 265 fake media houses working against Pakistan exposed
Most of the fake news was linked with minorities and issues related to India - Report
- There are at least 265 fake media houses that are working to facilitate Indian interest.
- The network is working to influence the EU and the UN against Pakistan.
EU DisinfoLab report – European External Action Service’s East StratCom (the EU Disinformation Task Force), an independent agency countering misinformation across the globe, claims that there are at least 265 fake media houses that are working to facilitate Indian interest.
BREAKING: We uncovered a worldwide network of 265 fake media outlets in 65 countries, targeting the US, Canada, Brussels, Geneva and many more, which all serve Indian lobbying interests. (1/9)
— EU DisinfoLab🇪🇺 (@DisinfoEU) November 13, 2019
According to the report, the main purpose of the network was to turn the European Union and the United Nations against Pakistan by constant criticism.
How it all got caught
In October, a website, eptoday.com, was constantly republishing content from Russia Today and Voice of America. Unexpectedly, it was found out that most of the news was about the minorities of Pakistan, promulgating the country’s image as an ‘intolerant’ country.
Soon after that, it was discovered by EU DisinfoLab that some Indian stakeholders run EP Today. Further investigations were done by using intelligence techniques, which led the agency to another online newspaper – Times of Geneva.
Quite surprisingly, both EP Today and Times of Geneva were covering the same type of content which was criticizing Pakistan in the Kashmir dispute, revealed the EU DisinfoLab report.
Revelations and important findings
It is revealed in the report after deep digging that EP Today and Times of Geneva have strong links with several NGOs. After closely watching their servers, IP addresses, and twitter accounts, the EU team found a website 4newsagency.com, whose network is expanded in 100 countries. This website further uncovered a network of over 265 resurrected media houses active in more than 65 countries. The network is working on the same agenda i.e. against Pakistan.
The news sites were active in the following ways:
- Many sites are using names of a nonexistent local newspaper or spoof of real media outlets.
- Republication of content from different news agencies (KCNA, Voice of America, and Interfax).
- Coverage of the same Indian-related demonstrations and events.
- Constantly criticizing Pakistan when it comes to Kashmir (including EP Today, 4NewsAgency, Times of Geneva, and New Delhi Times).
- Influence the EU and the UN against Pakistan.
Originally published in EU DisinfoLab