Lahore: 37-year-old Christian man sentenced to death over Blasphemous text
The Lahore trial court took at least seven years to conclude the case.
A 37-year-old man has been sentenced to death by a court in Lahore for sending blasphemous text messages in 2013.
Asad Hashim, a Pakistani Journalist, tweeted, “A 37-year-old Christian man named Asif Pervaiz, accused of sending blasphemous text messages in 2013, has been convicted to death by a court in Lahore, his lawyer says.”
Asif Pervaiz, 37, a Christian man accused of sending blasphemous text messages in 2013, has been sentenced to death for "blasphemy" by a court in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore, his lawyer says.
— Asad Hashim (@AsadHashim) September 8, 2020
The Lahore trial court took at least seven years to conclude the case. According to Pervaiz’s lawyer, the court convicted Pervaiz even though there was no ‘evidence’ that would charge him.
In December last year, a court in Multan sentenced another individual accused of blasphemy, Junaid Hafeez, who has been in prison for more than six years, to death. A religious group at Bahauddin Zakriya University in Multan, where he taught, accused the convict, a Fulbright scholar, of blasphemy on social media.
Blasphemy in Pakistan
More than 40 cases of blasphemy were listed across Pakistan in the last month.
Many people who have been accused of blasphemy belonged to the Shia community. They have been charged under 295-A and 298 sections of the Pakistan Penal Code for allegedly ‘insulting the companions of The Holy Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H.).’ Likewise, members of Christian and Ahmadiya communities are also among the people accused of blasphemy.
According to the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom, up to 80 people have been detained in Pakistan on blasphemy charges — half of them face life imprisonment or the death penalty.
What are your thoughts about this? Share in the comment section below.