Lawsuits force J&J to pull their baby powder off shelves in the US and Canada amid cancer concerns
The move comes after years of trial where Johnson & Johnson has been ordered to pay out billions of dollars in compensation.
Pharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson announced on Tuesday that it would stop selling its product, Johnson’s Baby Powder in the US and Canada.
The corporation has faced tens of thousands of lawsuits from consumers claiming its talc products caused cancer.
The move comes after years of trials where Johnson & Johnson has been ordered to pay out billions of dollars in compensation. The firm has persistently defended the safety of its talc products.
Johnson & Johnson said it would stop sales of the product, which makes up about 0.5 percent of its US buyer health business.
The firm faces more than 15,000 consumer lawsuits, claiming that its talc products were contaminated with asbestos, a known toxic chemical.
The company said that the demand for Johnson’s Baby Powder had been decreasing in North America “due to changes in customer habits and fueled propaganda around the safety of the product.”
J&J said it had encountered “a constant attack” of lawyers advertising for clients to sue the firm.
“We remain firmly confident in the safety of the talc-based Johnson’s Baby Powder. Decades of independent scientific researches by medical experts around the world support the safety of our product,” the firm added.
According to the Healthcare firm, in October, its testing had detected no asbestos in its Baby Powder after inspections conducted by the US Food and Drug Administration found minimum amounts.
The company is appealing against a 2018 order to pay $4.7 billion in losses to more than 20 women who claimed that its talc products caused them to develop ovarian cancer.
What are your views on this? Share with us in the comments bar below.