Lieutenant General Nadeem Ahmed Anjum – Meet Your New DG ISI
According to media reports, Lieutenant General Nadeem Ahmed Anjum has been appointed as the new Director-General of Pakistan’s premier intelligence agency – Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), replacing Lt Gen Faiz Hameed. The news was announced by The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) on Wednesday.
Educational Background and Interests of Lieutenant General Nadeem Ahmed Anjum
Lt Gen Anjum is a native of Mohra Sheikhan, Kontrilla, in Rawalpindi district’s Gujar Khan.
Hailing from the Pakistan Military Academy’s 78th Long Course and the Punjab Regiment, Lt Gen Nadeem is a graduate of the UK’s Royal College of Defence Studies. He also holds a degree from the Asia-Pacific Centre for Security Studies, Honolulu, and a Master’s degree from Kings College London and (National Defense University) NDU Islamabad.
Apart from his military career, the officer is a keen runner and enjoys playing basketball and cricket.
Lieutenant General Nadeem Ahmed Anjum’s Military Career
Lt Gen Nadeem has gained diverse experience in command, staff, and instructional assignments in conventional and sub-conventional threat environments over the years. He has held command postings on both the western and eastern borders (Line of Control) and has served for a significant period in Balochistan.
The most prominent phases of his military career were when:
- He was commissioned in the Light Anti-Tank battalion of the Punjab Regiment.
- He commanded an infantry brigade in South Waziristan, an infantry brigade in Kurram Agency, and Hangu during Operation Zarb-e-Azb.
- He was appointed IGFC Balochistan during the follow on Operation Raddul Fasad.
- He worked as an instructor at Pakistan Military Academy (PMA), Staff College, and the NDU.
- He became the commandant of the Staff College and chief of staff of Corps 5 before assuming command of the corps.
Other postings announced by ISI’s media wing
As per the announcement of ISI’s media wing, the intelligence agency has also made the following postings:
- Lt Gen Faiz Hameed has been transferred and appointed as Commander Peshawar Corps
- Lt Gen Muhammad Aamer will now lead one of the major offensive formations of the Pakistan Army, the Gujranwala Corps
- Lt Gen Syed Asim Munir will be the new Quarter Master General (QMG) of the Pakistan Army
- Lt Gen Muhammad Saeed has been appointed as the new Commander Karachi Corps
- Lt General Nauman Mahmood will now be recognized as NDU President
- Major General Muhammad Asim Malik has been promoted to the Lieutenant-General rank and appointed as Adjutant General Pakistan Army
What are your thoughts on this? Please share with us in the comment section below.