Media owners, Politicians and, Former military officials: Details of Pakistanis Named in Pandora Papers
The investigation carried out by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists with the collaboration of 600 journalists around the world.
Key members of Prime Minister Imran Khan’s cabinet, owners of some of the country’s top media outlets, retired civilian and military officials, and their families secretly own or have owned many companies and trusts holding millions of dollars in offshore jurisdictions.
The revelations are part of the Pandora Papers – a new global investigation carried out by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists with the collaboration of 600 journalists around the world.
The investigation removes the shadowy offshore financial system that allows multinational corporations, the rich, famous, and influential, to avoid taxes and otherwise shield their wealth. The probe is based on more than 11.9 million confidential files from 14 offshore services firms leaked to the ICIJ.
The leaked documents reveal that various members of PM Khan’s cabinet, or close members of their families, have holdings hidden offshore in several jurisdictions.
People whose offshore holdings have been exposed in the Pandora Papers include:
- the Finance Minister Shaukat Tarin and three of his family members
- the Minister for Industries and Production Makhdoom Khusro Bakhtiar’s younger brother Omer Shehryar
- Former federal minister Faisal Vawda and two other family members,
- the Federal Minister for Water Resources Moonis Elahi,
- the Senior Provincial Minister for Food Abdul Aleem Khan,
- Former Special Assistant to the PM on Finance and Revenue Waqar Masood Khan’s son
- President National Bank of Pakistan Arif Usmani
- the Managing Director National Investment Trust Adnan Afridi
In addition to the civilian leadership, the Pandora Papers have also revealed some top retired military leaders who had kept their holdings offshore.
The leaked documents have also shared the names of Pakistani media moguls who owned offshore companies.
The media owners who held offshore companies include:
- the publisher of Jang group Mir Shakil-ur-Rahman
- the CEO Dawn media group Hamid Haroon
- Publisher of Express Media Group Sultan Ahmed Lakhani
- the Gourmet Group, which also owns a TV channel GNN and publisher of Pakistan Today the late Arif Nizami.
Moreover, the former Finance Minister Ishaq Dar’s son, Ali Dar, Sindh’s former information minister Sharjeel Inam Memon and former chairman FBR and Secretary Finance Salman Siddiq’s son Yawar Salman owned companies in the tax havens.
Sources have revealed that Pandora Papers are more comprehensive than the Panama Papers regarding data collection and collaboration, made possible by the world’s largest research team in the history of journalism.
What are your thoughts about this? Share in the comment section below.