NAB arrests Maryam Nawaz in Chaudhary Sugar Mills money laundering case
- PML-N Vice President Maryam Nawaz has been arrested by the National Accountability Bureau.
- She was to appear before the bureau in a hearing related to the case but went to meet her father at Kot Lakhpat Jail.
- NAB has issued a press release in which it notified that Maryam Nawaz and her cousin Yousaf Abbass have been arrested.
- Both the detainees will be presented before the accountability court in Lahore for remand tomorrow.
- Earlier Accountability Court Judge Muhammad Bashir on July 6 last year had convicted her for 7 years jail-term.
PML-N Vice President Maryam Nawaz has been arrested by the National Accountability Bureau on Thursday today. She was taken into custody while she was on her way back from visiting her convicted father Nawaz Sharif from Kot Lakhpat Jail.
NAB has issued a press release in which the antigraft body notified that Maryam Nawaz and her cousin Yousaf Abbass have been arrested in connection to the Chaudhary Sugar Mills case adding that the PML-N’s Vice President is now being taken to NAB headquarters.
A medical examination of the detainees shall also be conducted. The press release also mentioned that both the detainees will be presented before the accountability court in Lahore for remand tomorrow.
NAB acquired Maryam Nawaz in a hearing related to the same case but she didn’t appear before the accountability bureau and gone to meet his father instead.
PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has condemned the arrest of PMLN’s Vise President on the floor of the house. A resolution has also been submitted in the provincial assembly against Maryam’s arrest.
Dawn reported that the PML-N Government’s financial monitoring unit reported huge suspicious transactions involving billions of rupees in M/s Chaudhary Sugar Mills Ltd under the Anti-Money Laundering Act.
Earlier Accountability Court Judge Muhammad Bashir on July 6 last year had convicted former three times prime minister of the country and his daughter Maryam Nawaz in the Avenfield reference and awarded them years-long jail-term but Islamabad High Court suspended her sentence and ordered her release from jail.
What do you foresee the political future of Maryam Nawaz in the politics of the country? Let us know in the comment section below