PM Khan announces massive five year GB Development Package [SALIENT FEATURES]
See details here!
Prime Minister Imran Khan has announced a five-year development package worth PKR370 billion for Gilgit-Baltistan.
Addressing a ceremony in GB on Friday, the prime minister said that the government was starting with a package worth PKR 370 billion to be spent over five years. “We will keep helping you,” he added.
Khan said that he had been waiting a “long time” to bring such a package for GB “which could bring growth in actual terms to the region.”
He said that at the moment, Pakistan didn’t have enough resources, and there was demand from people all over Pakistan for money and help from the government so despite all that, “bringing a package like this I think is a huge achievement for Pakistan and GB.”
SALIENT FEATURES OF OF THE PLAN ARE:
- 52 priority and 2114 GB ADP projects costing PKR 370 billion – including: 29 New and Ongoing Public Sector Development Program(PSDP) priority projects costing PKR 161 billion.
- 11 priority Non-PSDP projects worth PKR 4.8 billion.
- 12 projects identified under PPP Mode costing PKR 90 billion.
- 2114 projects under GB ADP worth PKR 114 billion.
- The existing federal funding for GB has been more than doubled from PKR 25 billion to an average of PKR 55 billion per annum over the next five years.
- Introducing GB Power Policy to facilitate private investment (on PPP / IPP mode) in the power sector to exploit hydropower potential of the region.
- Auctioning 3G / 4G Licenses to increase access and quality of internet and telecom services.
- Expanding Universal Service Fund (USF) through institutional reform to provide coverage to the areas without internet and telecom services.
- National Highway Authority has been advised to prepare feasibility for Shounter Tunnel.
- Gilgit Shandur Road included in CPEC Pipeline projects.
- Capacity building of GB institutions and officials – plan to be prepared within one month.
- Enhancing the powers of Development Forums of GB and empowering Divisions and Districts.
- PSDP (New and Ongoing) projects costing PKR161 billion will be undertaken on priority and adequate allocations made to complete them within the next 3 – 5 years.
- P3 Authority to facilitate and support the Government of GB (PPP Unit) to execute P3 projects to attract private investment and create more jobs.
All Federal Ministries and Departments have been directed to complete necessary codal and procedural formalities within the next three months to start these projects immediately.
What are your views on this? Share with us in the comments below.