Qatar pledges to invest billions in Turkey amid lira currency crisis
The Turkish lira has lost nearly 40% of its value this year due to economic issues.
- The Qatari government has agreed to invest billions of dollars to help the Turkish economy.
- The Turkish lira has lost nearly 40% of its value this year due to economic issues.
Qatar has inked new investment deals worth billions of dollars for the Turkish economy.
Among the things Doha has purchased are a luxury mall and a big chunk of shares in the Borsa Istanbul stock exchange.
President @RTErdogan welcomed with an official ceremony Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani of Qatar, who is in Turkey for the 6th meeting of the Turkey-Qatar Supreme Strategic Committee. https://t.co/sNBI1lM2Np pic.twitter.com/lAw7ve16Ia
— Turkish Presidency (@trpresidency) November 26, 2020
According to the Middle East Eye, the Qatari Investment Authority signed the purchasing deals as part of a bilateral trip by the Qatari Emir, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, to Ankara on Thursday.
He met the Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, to join the 6th strategic summit between the two states.
Among the investments, Qatar will acquire a 10% shareholding in the Borsa Istanbul from Turkey Wealth Fund, which controls more than 90% of the total shares.
Türkiye-Katar Yüksek Stratejik Komite 6. Toplantısı’nda, Katar Dışişleri Bakanı Sn Muhammed bin Abdülrahman bin Jassim Al Thani ile aile, kadın ve sosyal hizmetler alanlarında işbirliğimizi güçlendirecek mutabakat zaptını imzaladık. @RTErdogan
Hayırlı olsun. pic.twitter.com/Rqbfm9VAoj
— Zehra Zümrüt Selçuk (@ZehraZumrutS) November 26, 2020
Doha will also buy 42% of İstinye Park, a shopping mall in İstanbul, for a reported $1 billion from Turkey’s Dogus Holding, which owns the remaining 58 percent stake.
Located on “Qatar Street,” İstinye Park is one of Turkey’s biggest and most explored malls, with around 300 stores and a car park with space for 3,200 vehicles.
Türkiye – Katar Yüksek Stratejik Komite Altıncı Toplantısında muhatabım Katar Devlet Bakanı Ahmed bin Muhammed El Sayed ile “Serbest Bölgeler Alanında Ortak Tanıtım Faaliyetleri Hakkında Mutabakat Zaptı” nı imzaladık. pic.twitter.com/aoDAcMkqIG
— Ruhsar Pekcan (@pekcan) November 26, 2020
The Qatari government will also contribute investment in the Golden Horn Marina project in İstanbul. The sum of the investment was not specified.
Doha, in a separate deal, also made official terminal operating company QTerminals’ purchase of Antalya’s Port Akdeniz in a $140m agreement signed with Global Ports Holding (GPH).
The new investments come as the Turkish economy suffers a currency crisis. The Turkish lira has lost nearly 40% of its value this year due to depleted foreign reserves and unorthodox monetary policies.
A senior Turkish official said that the two allies’ bilateral ties were standing on a strong foundation. Both sides were always looking for ways to deepen cooperation.
Qatar and Turkey are close allies, a relationship forged over the years through joint military operations in Libya and Somalia, and a united front against Doha’s Gulf neighbors. Ankara has a vital military base in the emirate.
Qatar already has investments in Turkey worth tens of billions of dollars from the entertainment sector to defense companies.
Turkey’s exports to Qatar have jumped three times in the last five years, as bilateral trade between the two countries reached up to $2.24 billion in 2019.
What are your views on this? Share with us in the comments below.