Here are the salient features of newly approved Anti-rape ordinance 2020
"The courts would have to conclude the cases within four months."
- The President has signed a new anti-rape measure aiming to speed up convictions and toughen punishments.
- The law would also allow chemical castration of those convicted of such offenses.
President Dr. Arif Alvi has passed the Anti-Rape Ordinance 2020 to guarantee a speedy hearing of rape cases with women and children as victims. The law also allows chemical castration of those convicted of such offenses.
A statement issued by the President House stated that under the ordinance, special courts would be established everywhere in the country for speedy trials of sexual assault defendants.
The statement added, “The courts would have to conclude the cases within four months.”
Under the ordinance, the Prime Minister’s Anti-Rape Crisis Cells would also be set up. They would be responsible for conducting a medico-legal examination within six hours of the incident.
Here are the salient points of the Anti-rape ordinance 2020:
- A countrywide registry of sexual offenders will be established with NADRA.
- Repeat offenders would be chemically castrated.
- Special courts will also be established for speedy trials (4 months deadline).
- Disclosing the identities of victims will be a punishable offense.
- The PM’s Anti-rape Crisis Cells will also be setup.
What are your views on this? Share with us in the comments bar below.