Tania Aidrus Answers All Your Questions Regarding Digital Pakistan
As a mission-driven initiative, Digital Pakistan’s focus is primarily on ensuring that desirable outcomes are achieved.
Not so long ago, the PTI -led federal government, decided to launch its Digital Pakistan program aimed at introducing the latest technology for public welfare. The government had appointed Former Google Executive, Tania Aidrus, to lead the task.
Many people have wondered how the Digital Pakistan program would take effect and help the country achieve greater goals. In a tweet today, Tania Aidrus shared the underpinnings of the Digital Pakistan program.
“This describes the heart and core of everything we build towards achieving the dream of a Digital and Prosperous Pakistan,” Tania Aidrus wrote.
~ Here are all the answers to your questions as shared by Ms Tania.
The Digital Pakistan vision encompasses 5 key areas;
- Access & Connectivity
- Digital Infrastructure
- Digital Skills & Training
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
As a mission-driven initiative, Digital Pakistan’s focus is primarily on ensuring that desirable outcomes are achieved. Specifically, this means that Digital Pakistan’s success should primarily be measured on whether such outcomes are actually achieved- the concrete implementing body and method are secondary.
Key Digital Pakistan Principles:
Tania and her team have chalked out four key principles of the Digital Pakistan program, listed below:
- shaamil – Responsible and inclusive access to information and technologies is a fundamental right.
- Affordable access to hardware devices such as low-end smartphones
- Universal data access such as connectivity in remote areas
- Affordable data access such as mobile subscription plans
- Free flow of information
- #hunarmand – 21st-century skills to reap the benefits of technology
- Digital literacy and how to operate devices
- Skills for digitally enable jobs such as home-based selling of goods via social commerce
- #pehchaan – Simplify interactions between citizens, government, and the broader economy.
- Development of a ‘Pakistan Stack’ as technology and data infrastructure connecting these different spheres
- Using digital technologies for easier and more transparent public expenditures, tax collections as well as prevention of tax evasion
- Driving towards the ‘Ask only once’ principle i.e. aims to ensure that citizens, institutions, and companies only have to provide certain standard information to the authorities and administrations once
- #digitaljugarus – An inclusive digital revolution must be an economic boon for all.
- Fostering mass employment creation through digital platforms like marketplaces, freelancing communities or ride-hailing companies
- Creating an appropriate legal, financial and regulatory environment for technology startups to flourish
- Be the conduit for linking local digital skills supply with global demand in areas with high global demand like machine learning or python
Key Areas of Work:
One of the most fascinating aspects of the Digital revolution is the vast scope and diversity of how it impacts everyday life. As such, Digital Pakistan’s work and internal capabilities and capacities to advance the mission are multifaceted. In general, the bulk of the work can be grouped into five broad categories.
- Channelling of, and representing the Digital Pakistan Movement
- Information dissemination
- Policy advancement or intervention
- Technology development
- Building bridges and facilitating dialogue between citizens, government, local and international players.
Many have asked what is Digital Pakistan's focus; how can they get involved & help
Today, I'm proud to share the underpinnings of the Digital Pakistan program
This describes the heart and core of everything we build towards achieving the dream of a Digital and Prosperous Pakistan pic.twitter.com/8TQrbP0CIR
— Tania Aidrus (@taidrus) February 17, 2020
“We plan on treating these as living and breathing, so something that will continue to evolve,” she wrote in her tweet.
What are your views on this? Share in the comments bar below.